A portion of the land where the Drawdy-Rouse Cemetery stands was originally 160 acres of land that was homesteaded in 1862 by the Drawdy family, made possible by the Homestead Act of 1862. In 1871 the Drawdy family set aside two acres of land for a family cemetery. Local pioneers were invited to be buried in the Drawdy family cemetery.
In 1927 the Rouse family bought an equal amount of land, to the south side, which adjoined the Drawdy cemetery site. In 1986 the two cemeteries merged, for a total of four acres of cemetery.
There are 53 graves in this cemetery that were marked with illegible funeral markers or blank stones.
Leon E. Drawdy
born 3 June 1913 St. Cloud, Florida; died Nov. 12, 1962, Orange Co., FL
Ensign Drawdy served with President Kennedy on the PT109. At the time of his death, President Kennedy sent a letter to be read, as he was unable to attend the service. Leon Drawdy was mentioned in the book and movie, detailing the events of PT109.
From the website The Unknown History of PT 109, July 1942 – April 1943 at http://pt-king.gdinc.com/PT109-5.html
“On the morning of April 25, 1943 Ensign Thom took the boat to Sesapi to pick up l09’s new CO — a twenty-six year-old product of Harvard who introduced himself to Thom as Jack Kennefy. That same day, the men who would make up the nucleus of the 109’’s new crew — Firemen Edmund Drewitch and Leon Drawdy, and Gunner’s Mate Charles Harris also reported to the boat.”
Leon Drawdy, second from left, standing. Jack Kennedy, standing, far right (shirtless).
For more information on the cemetery, contact:
or email email@example.com